January 6th, 2010 | by BillEgan | Are you thinking about the best way for you to learn seo?
Should you attend a class, learn online or simply read a few books and study various seo learning resources?
A good question and the answer probably depends on whether you:
- Plan to offer professional seo services to your clients
- Need a recognised certification
- Are located convenient to a classroom based course centre
- Want an ongoing coaching service as well as upfront learning
There are literally hundreds of choices for formal SEO training courses. Since the industry is unregulated it is very difficult to be certain of the quality of many of these.
One way to ensure that the training is to a high standard is to invest in courses that are certified by a relevant professional body such as DMA or SEMPO.
Online SEO Training:
This is an online self paced learning course from the U.S. Direct Marketing Association and covers two levels – basic and advanced costing from $999 to $1,799 per module
This body is the most prestigious association of recognised search industry professionals and issues a certified course completion certificate. Course modules include:
- Insider’s Guide to Search Marketing
- Keywords & Copywriting
- Advanced Search Optimization
- Linking and Brand Management
- Social Media
Prices per module range from $200 to $1,119
This is a well regarded and proven search marketing training system used by 10,000+ webmasters and Costs $300 p month
The training program consists of hundreds of articles, advanced SEO tools, training videos, downloadable strategy guides, and other resources packed with practical tips to help you market your website, build viral buzz, capture top search engine rankings, improve website monetization, and increase conversion rates.
The detailed content includes:
- Over 100 training modules covering everything from keyword research, site structure optimization, on page SEO, link building, pay per click marketing, and website monetization.
- Quick start checklists to help your SEO campaigns achieve immediate results.
- Member only training videos covering a wide range of SEO and internet marketing related topics.
- A 10 day autoresponder series highlighting the 10 most profitable SEO strategies in today’s market.
Full Sail is a media arts college in Florida that was founded in 1979. They offer a 1 year online Masters Degree in Internet Marketing. The course content covers:
Internet Marketing Fundamentals:
- Email Marketing
- Pay Per Click Campaign Development
- Search Engine Optimization
- Viral Marketing
- Web Banner Advertising
Specialized Areas of Study:
- Business Storytelling & Brand Development
- Advanced Internet Marketing Strategies
- Advanced Search Engine Optimization
- Consumer Behavior & Analysis
Classroom SEO Training:
Organizations providing this type of training include:
This is a 3 day classroom course is run in California, New Your and Australia and costs $1,795.
These involve 2, 3 or 5-day SEO workshops. Each of the Search Engine Academies are independently owned and operated by licensed associates. Locations are currently limited to the U.S. and Canada.
Run a 1 day UK based seo training course in London and Manchester. The cost is €645
Run a 3 day event including training workshops and conference seminars. The event runs around the world at different venues including major U.S cities, Toronto, London and Berlin.
Other Useful SEO Learning Resources:
The main topics covered include:
- Keyword Research
- Link Building
- Content Creation
- On Page Optimization
- Crawling & Indexing Issues
- Social Media Marketing
A Small Business SEO Checklist is useful and is based on an actual small business SEO project that involved optimising a site for local search.
This consists of a checklist of 27 tasks needed for good SEO results. The Checklist categories are:
- Project tracking
The Web Developers Cheat Sheet is a checklist of important technical information useful for DIY SEO project implementation. It covers:
- Important SEO Html Tags
- Search Engine Indexing Limits
- Recommended Title Tag Syntax
- Common Canonical Issues
- Code for 301 redirects
- Important Search Engine Robot User-Agents
- Common Robot Traps to Avoid
- Robots Meta Tag Syntax
- Robots.txt Syntax
- Sitemap Syntax
This does not contain comprehensive seo training material but could possibly be suitable for beginners wanting to set up an online affiliate business. Training topics include:
- Pay-per-click marketing
- Search Engine Optimization
- Website Design
- Email Marketing
- Article marketing
- Niche and keyword research
The cost is $39 per month. This includes:
- A website building tool
- A market niche research tool
- A website hosting service
- One to one support